Diagnosis
I'm sorry it has taken so long for me to post, but Craig and I are still trying to wrap our minds around the information we received from the Gastroenterologist.
We had a good visit with him and a pediatrician at Children's, they spent quite a bit of time examining Evan and talking with us. But here is the thing... they have a completely opposite opinion from our pediatricians. The GI doctor believes that some blood in the stool is usually a benign occurrence in infants, provided there aren't any other signs of illness. He indicated the experts have recently changed their thinking about protein allergies and believe that they are much less common than previously suspected.
This left us speechless.
Blood in the stool? Normal? Ok, so Evan is gaining weight and is otherwise healthy, but that doesn't mean that we wish to see him uncomfortable or with blood in his diaper. And what are parents to do when doctors have opposing viewpoints?
We determined that the bottom line is that we have to do what works for us. And currently, Evan seems much more comfortable and content on the Neocate. We also stopped using the Prevacid because we suspected it was bothering him more than it was helping.
In other news, Craig is leaving for his first business trip tomorrow since Evan was born. I'm sure we will manage, but he does so much that I am somewhat dreading his departure.
2 comments:
Thanks for the update Heather. Evan is looking even more adorable than before. Is that possible since he was so cute already? Wow, opposing viewpoints eh? Doesn't quite answer your questions does it? Hope taking him off the meds ends up helping. Sometimes you just have to experiement & try the 'wait & see' method & if its not good then try something else.
Hope Craig's trip goes well & that everything goes smoothly for you at home.
Thanks so much for the updated! I have been waiting patiently to see how Evan was. It's amazing that Doctor's have such different points of view. It has happened to me and my stomach MULTIPLE times. I guess that's why they call what the Doctor's do a "practice"...they use the wait and see method. Hopefully coming off the prevacid helps him. The good news though is the new formula is working and he is gaining weight. All positive signs!
Good luck while Craig is gone. I am sure Ella will lend plenty of help!
Maria
Post a Comment