Monday, September 22, 2008

I remember!!

This is what I was referring to in my last post. Last week Craig and I were conducting a serious reorganization effort of the basement and garage when I decided (in my infinite wisdom) that if I gave the stairs a quick, fresh coat of paint it would make them look nicer.



Here was the flaw in my thinking:

I used tape on the sides and on the rise to protect them from paint. But when I removed the tape, the wallpaper started to peel away. I couldn't believe it because now I would have to painstakingly remove all of the wallpaper and paint both the rise AND the run, taking my 1/2 hour project to several hour, several day project. ARGGHHHH

But let me back up a little...

When we built our home in 2000, we opted for the unfinished basement with the thought that we would just finish it ourselves in the future. At the same time we were childless, which meant I spent too much time watching HGTV where I saw a project where someone decorated their basement stairs by putting wallpaper border on the rise and painting the run.

I could do that!

So I did.

But a year or two later, we hired someone to finish our basement and had carpet put on the stairs.

Here was the flaw in that thinking:

You enter the basement via the garage, with dirty shoes. And then you walk up the stairs, which get incredibly filthy over time.

So, a few years later we removed the carpet, to reveal, once again, my previous project. Which was fine, except now there were little tiny nail holes everywhere from the carpet installation.

Anyway, this is my life. My quick projects are never quick and I should just start to come to terms with that fact.

0 comments: