Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Election

I don't post about politics because it really isn't a fun topic, and besides, to some extent, most politicians are corrupt. But I don't think we should judge them, and don't think that you are above corruption... everyone has a price. If someone offered to pay off your mortgage, or take care of your bills, it would be pretty hard to say no.

Anyway, everyone has a 'hot button topic' for the upcoming election and mine is big government. I really don't want the government taking care of me, or instituting new programs to make sure that I have a retirement, a home, an education, etc. I am a big believer on relying on oneself to succeed in life. Thanks, but I won't need any help (for instance, I would love to manage my own social security). I'll work hard, earn my money, and be happy.

And we all know that the only way there can be more government programs is if taxes are increased to generate the necessary revenue. (And history has proven that increasing taxes suffocates an economy, while lowering them stimulates the economy).

I'll try to be brief, but please remember the words of Thomas Jefferson when you are voting next Tuesday:
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."

Another one:
"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."

Last one:
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."

If you depend solely on the government, don't be surprised when they dictate all you're allowed to do.

5 comments:

Anonymous,  11:27 AM  

Maybe we could drown our political sorrows in some cookies and milk. Got any more cool recipes? Christmas is coming up and I need ideas.

luv,
karen

Joanne Bartone 11:49 AM  

spoken sensibly and accurately. thank you for taking the risk to put that out there. less is ALWAYS more in my opinion, whether it's in designing an album or government! :-)
xo, Joanne

Anonymous,  3:48 PM  

so who are you voting for?

Anonymous,  4:24 PM  

http://www.slate.com/id/2203433/

The big scare is socialism, but both parties engage in it to some degree. Indeed, our government has grown incredibly the last 8 years. Alaska is arguably the most socialist state in our union.

Heather 12:32 PM  

I voted for the least liberal of the candidates. I would argue that there isn't a Republican in this election. And I believe Alaska's socialism to be a result of the plentiful resources, ie: the land allows the gov't to give back to the people. I am NOT in favor of giving my hard earned money to people who are less hard working.