Meet our Squirrel Friends
We've had quite a few squirrels visiting our bird feeder recently, yesterday there were four of them sitting on/around it. Good thing Dad buys 50lb sacks of sunflower seeds at the feed store. I fill the feeder every day.
(To be read in a deep, male, leader-type voice). "On behalf of my squirrel brethren, I would like to thank you for being so open to our presence. Many home owners do not like us sharing with the birds, but you are a kind family indeed."
"Brrr, it sure is cold out here, I will use this feeder to block the wind"
"I mean when that wind whips up, us squirrels really have to hunker down."
Ok, enough with the squirrel talk. I went to make dessert last night and when I got out the peanuts, I realized that I had bought the raw kind. Doh! I sprinkled them with salt and roasted them, but still didn't like the way they tasted. No matter, I knew our squirrel friends would appreciate the special treat.
And they weren't even afraid of boy boy!

PS. I was curious as to the origin of the phrase "hunker down," as used by the squirrel, so I Googled it and this is what I found:
It has been suggested it’s linked to the Old Norse huka, to squat; that would make it a close cousin of old Dutch huiken and modern German hocken, meaning to squat or crouch, which makes sense. That’s certainly what’s meant by the word in American English, in phrases like hunker down or on your hunkers.
1 comments:
Too cute!! I just LOVE those furry tree rats :)
Post a Comment